If you have been knocked off your bicycle through no fault of your own, then you may be eligible for compensation. You can make a claim with injury claim solicitors whether you were injured by another road user, by a pedestrian or because of poorly maintained road, although there are two basic eligibility criteria that you need to be aware of.

The first criteria is how your accident happened. You cannot be wholly liable for the accident in which you were injured. You can only be partly responsible at the most.

The second criteria is when your accident happened. You must make your claim within three years of the date of your accident or of the date your injuries became clear. After three years your claim will become time-barred, preventing you from bringing it forward.

Making a claim against another road user

To make a claim against another road user, you need to have their insurance details or at the very least the licence plate number for the other vehicle involved. If you do not, then it will be difficult to track the other party down. If you were the victim of a hit and run, then it may be possible to make a claim with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau under the circumstances; you should seek specialist legal advice with injury claim solicitors if this is the case.

Making a claim against a pedestrian

If you have been knocked off your bike by a pedestrian, be it because you hit them or you had to take evasive action to avoid them, the law makes it very clear that you have the same rights to make a claim as if the other party was a motorist. Your claim under the circumstances will be with the other party’s insurer if applicable. If they are not insured, then your claim will likely be with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

Making a claim against another cyclist

It is becoming increasingly common for cyclists to take our specialist insurance policies to protect themselves in the event of a claim. If you were injured by such a cyclist, then your claim will be with their insurance provider. If the other party is not insured, then as with the information provided above, it may be possible to make a claim with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. In addition to this, it may be the case that the other side has public liability cover from their home insurance. If so, you could put in a claim with them.

Speak with injury claim solicitors today

To find out more about making a claim for a bicycle accident or to discuss your case with injury claim solicitors, call our free no obligation helpline today on 0800 157 1437.